Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mushrooms, Light Houses and Free Museums!


My husband, as previously noted, is quite the amateur mycologist. If you see pictures from our trips that feature people (other than us two, obviously), buildings, curiosities in larger scale, they are often taken by yours truly. Beautiful, detailed shots of tree skins, lichens and mushrooms (and yours truly obviously ;) are mostly his handiwork.

So when we got to Cape Disappointment and it turned out to be quite an mushroom-extravaganza he couldn't have been happier. Though picking was forbidden (there must be some magic ones out there, because mushroom is just the fruit of an underground organism, and picking those doesn't hurt it much), he got many a lovely shot.

Including these spooky-scary alien ones.


For me Cape Disappointment turned out to be worthy of its name, in spite hot showers and the half-white deer we saw, because the trail to the light house was closed half-way. This makes it two times we haven't been able to see the damn table lamp. At least C. is pushing for another vacation there, because of all the shroominess.
Luckily there are two towns near by: Il Waco, which proudly calls itself The Best Little Town In Washington, and where C.'s grandma grew up, and Long Beach, home to, well, a really long beach and, more importantly Marsh's Free Museum!

Part nick-nack store (one and perhaps the original of many many in this little tourist town), part curiosity show, complete with hundred dollar sea shells, stuffed wildebeasts, mechanical canaries and of course Jake the Alligator-Man, Marsh's Free Museum is well-worth spending some time, as well as nickels and dimes in olden-time-y peep machines.


Generally I'm not a huge fan of dead animals, but will make exception for things older than my great grandma.
Politically incorrect music boxes.

Imported french canaries.
The sultan's harem and naughty secretary.
And the Ruler of the Animal Kingdom. Long before there was genetic manipulation, there was:

THE JACKARAVENLOPE!

Next we head to Astoria: the home of the Finnish Americans, many labor unions and the Goonies.

14 comments:

  1. that is the coolest museum ever! and those crazy coral fungi are the neatest, aren't they? did they smell really bad, I've read they can have a terrible obnoxious odor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love a good mushroom post! I have never seen those weird alien ones before, so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, humongous trees for you and crazy awesome shroomies for the mister... this sounds like the perfect trip for you guys!

    That museum looks super cool, I can't believe we drove right by... damn ferry schedules. Did I ever tell you that we were the last ones to just barely make it on and got a little lecture for being late and being over 20 feet long. The guy working was a grump :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm totally becoming a mycologist also, mushrooms are amazing organisms! :) now, i'm not a stalker adn won't cause problems, i'm just curious about some things that we could have in common and could you email me at emmarg@passagen.se so i can ask them? pleeasse?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so pleased to have found your blog. I lived in Seattle for 9 years off and on. I am from the Boston MA. and moved back here 2 years ago. I miss the Olympic Peninsula with every once of my soul. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I visited Lopes Island about 3 or 4 times and couldn't keep away from Shark Reef. I hope to see more photos from the gorgeous NW on your blog. I hope to bring my wife( who is from NYC) back to that area to show her where I lived and what I talk about constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the mushrooms are so cool! and that museum looks awesome. i'd love to spend some serious time in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shirt you wore to the museum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love a mycolo-cenric post! Just beautiful. The shop also looks trés quaint and a bit overwhelming; the perfect combination.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg, spent summer vacay there as a kid (i'm from oregon,) even went there on our honeymoon, i can't believe it hasn't changed! i remember all that stuff at marsh's almost 50 years ago! some things never change....except now we live in the midwest. the long beach peninsula is a gem

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW your pictures are mystical! I adore them...what a neat blog you have here. Definitely gonna follow.

    PS: one of those fungal things is really creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY LORD! That looks like my DREAM store. So much glorious strangeness! I love it! Loving your blog too!

    xx
    ZK
    www.glitter-and-ink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is amazing how the fungus can grow so fast and well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice blog xx :))


    Saving Thousands of People Hundreds of Dollars a Month

    http://www.saversclub.us/

    ReplyDelete