Friday, September 4, 2009

Self-portrait With Dill

...or A Portrait of The Artist As a Young Pickler.

Lately I've been taking The Worst outfit photos. I think I either need to find a new photo spot, or some new clothes. Hopefully the former. Maybe today.

I did take these fanciful portraits with a bouquet of dill that Alma gave me.

Yum Dill by you.

Miss Dill  by you.


Dill is ill by you.

In perfect synergy, C. got some pickling cucumbers from another friend.

Garlic Dill Pickles

Makes approximately 8 pints (total yield varies depending on size of cucumbers)

2 overflowing quarts of pickling cucumbers, sliced into fat coins*
4 cups apple cider vinegar
4 cups water
6 tablespoons pickling salt
16 garlic cloves, peeled (2 per jar)**
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper per jar (2 teaspoons total)
1 teaspoon dill seed per jar (8 teaspoons total)
½ teaspoon black peppercorns per jar (4 teaspoons total)

Wash and slice the cucumbers.

In a large saucepot, combine vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a simmer.

Arrange jars on counter and dole out the spices to each. Pack the cucumber slices firmly into the jars. You don’t want to damage the cukes, but you do want them packed tight.

Pour the brine into the jar, leaving ½ inch headspace.

Wipe rims, apply lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

When 10 minutes are up, promptly remove the jars from the pot and allow them to cool on the countertop. When the jars are cool, check the seals (by pushing/tapping on the lid).

Pickles can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to a year.

Recipe from here. I'm trying it out.


11 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your blog posts, so I actually have to disagree, I like your outfit pics with the views of the "little house" in them, I think they look great! But, my favorite are your whimsical titles. "Self portrait with dill" has to be among my top faves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These portraits are beautiful!

    Mmmm, fresh pickles... I'm looking forward to trying them when we get there! Speaking of which, I just flickr mailed you on that subject :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really the perfect early Fall outfit . . I'm in love with that little dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your blog, it's one of my favorites to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your outfit - especially that cute brooch that I can't see properly - it's so pretty and Autumnal.

    Also this is a great recipe, thanks!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pretty!

    i love making pickels, though i haven't yet this year.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are absolutely, genuinely, naturally beautiful. I love finding real beauties :) Your blog is a beauty too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw on Missa's blog that she's coming to stay with you - how lovely! I can't wait to see pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just found your blog and it is official: I am in love with it. Very inspiring. Dill is one of my favourite things in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i don't think i've ever seen a horrible photo of yours! they're always so enchanting and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think all of your outfits/phtographs are lovely!

    you are so very darling & i wish my home was as dreamy as yours seems to be : )

    ReplyDelete