Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Think of your woman who has gone to the West...


For the past few days, I've been busy in the garden, digging, planting and planning away. The furthest thing from my mind has been blogging, or even sitting down to check my email. On Friday C and I went to an amazing dance-benefit at the community center, and I wore my renaissance fair Gunne Sack. Though I sadly have no pictures of said outfit, it did get me thinking about those 70s Prairie Revival frocks, and how I feel they best embody my personal style. Especially now when I'm embracing a kind of 70s back-to-the-land-lifestyle. 

Reading books about cheese making, bread baking, and embroidery. 
Hunting and gathering, and planting, and sowing, and generally simplifying my daily life. (though sometimes simplifying seems to mean complicating...)
I rarely bust out this dress, bought on ebay, for my birthday two years ago, because it solicits stares and strange questions, but it occurred to me today, that I finally live in a place that is, if you will, hippy-dippy enough to make wearing this frock entirely comfortable.

And lo 'n behold: it has incurred nothing but compliments, and is delightfully warm on a chilly day. Perfect for collecting those last spring nettles in.

I was even inspired to write this post on my other blog, The Girl Who Married A Bear, about the beauty of Gunne Sax frocks.

5 comments:

  1. where do you live?!
    gosh i cannot get over how wonderful it is.
    & if you can wear that beauty without calling on stares, it must be a rather ideal place to roam!

    also, you are quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so poetic--reading in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, what a sweet and charming post and yay for hippy-dippy home towns! It is now my mission to get a Gunne Sax dress at least before I make it up there to visit so we can can go for a stroll through the woods together in them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, You have no idea of how much I enjoyed this sequence of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your face has the most perfect glow in that close up photo .. and you wear that dress with grace and ease!

    ReplyDelete