Thursday, February 12, 2009

A little house

The eponymous house in question is located on Island, WA, in the County Park where my husband works; and it is this log's intention to chronicle our lives there.

In all honesty, I should really call it "The Little House Across the Street from the Parking Lot", but this alternate title is simply too long, and decidedly too pedestrian. The house, with its two cozy rooms, porch, front yard, and separate garden, does in fact, overlook both the park's parking lot, and our little nook of the pacific ocean..


And what does it look like, this nook? Something like this, I'd say:

Junior Junior House by you.
This by the way, is not the actual Little House, but the Little Little House, which is in the backyard. 


Our Bay by you.
A state ferry in the distance. (Photo by C. Prince)

Hills And Beaches by you.
Madrona trees. (Photo by C. Prince)
.Beach by you.
(photo by C. Prince)

The park extends beyond the beach into a bit of old growth forest. There's sweet trails to wander, a little creek, and a seemingly endless thicket of Salal bushes. People get to camp right along that beach, with awesome views. Not too shabby a vacation spot in my humble opinion. (Don't be fooled though, that tropical looking water does not get warm even at the height of summer.)

Across the strait is Nun Island, another one of the four main islands in the Archipelago.  State ferries pass between the two islands almost hourly, and at night their big floating bulks glow in the dark, like apartment buildings, or lit-up whales sailing by.

Birds and the Beach by you.
(Photo by C. Prince)

The beach is strewn with shells and odd-shaped driftwood logs, not to mention all kinds of weird things discarded by the tide; bits of docks, trash, sea-glass, unexpected treasure, coils of kelp coiled  around each other like giant, amorous snakes. 

Never in my life have I lived this close to the sea, and I have to say; it may turn me into an old wish-wife yet, as evidenced below.
 
Fish Wife by you.
(Photo By C. Prince) 

Not to worry: I only smoke liquorice. A-hoy 'till next week! 

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place it all seems!
    I would love to live by the sea, like that. Are you going to collect all the little treasures you find on the beach? What about all the little stories from locals? Those are always the best.
    Local legends are so mysterious and often so ridiculous at the same time. Just thinking about it, it makes me want to go read some of my folktales books :)

    I hope you have a nice day on your little island!

    MJ
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how your new life was treating you. I love imagining you living on an island (in my mind it's one of the ones in puget sound). It's so romantic and so Milla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything's just beautiful and wonderful! The beach, the trees, the water, you:) You are really living a dream of a life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Millakins, it all looks so perfectly peaceful and beautiful, I'm so happy for you!

    I've been gazing forlornly into the giant Milla-shaped hole in my cyberworld lately, so it's truly wonderful to see you again, especially looking so adorable in that cute lil' red beret ;)

    I can't believe I still haven't sent out your package yet, shame on me, but the good news is the longer I hold onto it, the more treasures pile up to go in it. I promise it's going out this week though! Oh, and my shoe size is 8.5, yay for birthday packages :D

    Can't wait to hear all about your life on the island, many salty sea hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a great stalker of your "bear" blog and I wondered how your writing could get any better, but with those pics and the inspiration that can come from that view? I can't wait.
    You are now living in my most favorite place in the entire US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the pictures! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I really love all the pictures of you and your new home and the idea to live in a small house by the sea and read lots of books and and and... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't help but see you as truly the Laura Ingalls of the sea... seems like it would be a great place to write & inspire. I hope you post some pics of your inside two rooms. It looks so quaint from outside.

    ReplyDelete